Thursday, August 27, 2026

C. A. R. E. - 27 August 2026

 Focus for today:

The word out of the C. A. R. E. model is ...CONSCIOUSNESS

C. - Consciousness: August 27, 2026. Today I have gratitude for another opportunity to just stay focused and on track for the most important priorities in my life. Also remain conscious of the main thing and that is first sobriety, love and right/wise actions for my family and then ultimately WISE MINDFULNESS. 

Mindfulness is all the 'rage' or whatever word you want to use but it's basic and is what we all do to focus at various times throughout a given day. We all do some form of it unconsciously and to me the main focus to work through life is to be mindful intentionally. Purposely set aside time to focus on freeing your mind so you can act and not just let life and situations that actually require time and attention drive your day and overwhelm you to the point you give in to cravings. The idea is that I get to a point that no matter the circumstance; I am equipped to deal with it sober. 

In the Recovery Dharma book, it talks about it this way. Be present! Meaning be completely attentive to what is going on in front of you. It is the old adage, take a deep breath first then react. Be sober so you have no excuse for not fully understanding situations you are in. Be in the present for those around you out of just basic human decency. My son said something to me that made me understand what being present it. We were talking about his teen age years and while he acknowledged that I was physically available; I was always distracted by either alcohol or my job or school or something other than being entirely focused on my family.

I never really took the time to define mental and physical boundaries nor did I ever truly make my family the actual highest priority. I thought I was by going to work everyday but that is never truly enough. I know that I have to find a way to be totally present and to make hard choices on what I spend each day doing. I did not think and was no where near thinking 'critically'. 

Doing this writing and posting about words of value or affirmation within the C.A.R.E. framework is my attempt to focus my mind everyday (morning or night) on what matters to me. During this time writing I will gauge my progress and see if I make good on my recovery goals. 



No comments: